GREAT DOLOMITES ROUTE, A LEGENDARY MOTORCYCLE ROAD IN ITALY
The Great Dolomite Road (die Große Dolomitenstraße) was conceived and built by the Austrians in the early 1900s. At that time the area of South Tyrol was Austrian territory and only at the end of the Second World War was reunified with Italy. The main purpose of building the road was to create a very scenic route crossing these beautiful mountains of the Dolomites. This is why one of the most spectacular roads in the world was born! More of all, riding a motorcycle here you can appreciate the stunning views it offers!
The Great Dolomite Road connects Bolzano, in Trentino Alto Adige (South Tyrol), to Cortina d'Ampezzo and Cima Gogna in Veneto, crossing four of the most beautiful passes in the Dolomites:
Falzarego Pass: hairpin bends and breathtaking views
Pordoi Pass: the most beloved Dolomites mountain pass
San Lugano Pass: surrounded by a beautiful alpine environment
Tre Croci Pass: another beloved pass by motorcyclists
Val di Fassa (Fassa Valley)
Val di Fiemme (Fiemme Valley)
The Dolomites you can enjoy on this motorcycle tour:
- Col di Lana: is a Dolomitic mountain complex consisting of various peaks, the highest one reaches 2,452 meters a.s.l.
- Croda da Lago: is one of the spectacular Dolomites around Cortina d'Ampezzo
- Group of the Catinaccio: is a Dolomitic group located in Val di Fassa (Fassa Valley), it is about 3,004 meters a.s.l.
- Monte Antelao: it is the highest mountain (3.264 meters) and because of its majestic and towering appearance is was nicknamed the "King of the Dolomites".
- Piz Boè: is the highest peak of the Magenta Sella Group (3.152 meters)
- Sassolungo and Sasso Piatto are two other, typical Dolomite mountains
Lakes in the Dolomites you will reach during this motorbike tour:
- Lake of Santa Cristina: is an artificial lake, but it is just as beautiful as the most famous Dolomitic lakes
- Lago di Soraga: is a small turquoise pearl nestled among the mountains
- Lago di Valdaora is enclosed by the imposing peaks of Plan de Corones, Piz da Peres and Punta Tre Dita
Villages in the Dolomites you will cross riding your motorcycle:
- Arabba: a picturesque alpine village surrounded by the most beautiful mountains of Trentino Alto Adige (South Tyrol); - Auronzo di Cadore; Brunico; Campitello di Fassa; Canazei; Castle Molina di Fiemme; Cavalese; Cogne Gogna; Cortina d'Ampezzo: the queen of the Dolomites; Dobbiaco; Moena; Pocol; Pordoi Pass; Pozza di Fassa; Predazzo; San Candido; Soraga; Villabassa; Ziano di Fiemme
Departure: from the motorway entrance "Egna-Ora-Termeno" on the Brenner Highway
Arrival: at the motorway exit "Bressanone-Val Pusteria" on the Brenner Highway
Total distance: 270 km, riding time approximately 6 hours. The Great Dolomites Road (Bolzano-Cima Gogna) is 163 km long and another 107 km is needed to reach the exit of the Bressanone-Val Pusteria. (Brenner Highway).