ON THE WINDING ALPINE ROADS IN AUSTRIA, SLOVENIA AND GERMANY
This motorcycle trip will take you along some of Europe's most beautiful motorcycling roads such as the Roßfeldstraße, Germany's highest panoramic road. In Austria, you will follow the legendary Nockalmstraße, the Gaberl road that crosses the Lavanttal Alps and the winding B69 road with creepy hairpin bends. In Slovenia, you will ride on the Mangart pass road, the Vršic Pass Roads, the Pavlic Pass road, the road to Soriška Planina and the Jezersko Road.
Also, "On this thrilling motorcycle adventure ride on some of the most scenic winding roads in the Alps in Germany Austria and Slovenia", you will also touch beautiful Alpine lakes, such as the delightful Lake Bohinj and Lake Bled, and charming picturesque villages such as Soriška Planina and Skofja Loka considered the most beautiful hamlets in Slovenia.
The direction of this itinerary is counterclockwise and you can start from Salzburg (Austria) or from Kranj (Slovenia), which is about 25 km north of Ljubljana.
The mythical winding Alpine roads with breathtaking panoramas:
- Mangart Pass road (Slovenia): it is the highest pass in Slovenia reaching 2,072 m a.s.l. , a well-known road by motorcyclists. Also film directors like this place for the wild sceneries that surrounding this mountain. It is a unique experience to ride a motorbike on this 12 km long road featuring 17 curves and hairpin bends, five tunnels, and the final ring at the top which is considered the most exciting part of the entire road.
- Vršic Pass road (Slovenia): it is located in the heart of the Julian Alps and its 50 hairpin bends are really breathtaking. Pay attention, the road has been built with a pavement made of porphyry cubes which can become slippery in case of rain.
- The Road to Soriška Planina (Slovenia): it starts from the enchanting Lake Bohin and for 30 kilometers you will have fun riding your bike through hundreds of curves surrounded by stunning views of the Alps on the border between Slovenia and Austria.
- Jezersko Road (Slovenia): it runs for 20 kilometers along the picturesque valley of the Kokra river crossing an environment that really seems like heaven on earth.
- Pavlic Pass (Slovenia): the 30 km long road connects Jezersko with the most beautiful Slovenian Alpine valley, the Logar valley. The road crosses Pavlic Pass, 1,338 m a.s.l.
- Nockalmstraße (Austria): it is one of the most beautiful roads in the world where to ride a motorbike! It winds through the largest pine forest in the Eastern Alps, the rolling peaks of the Nockberge National Park, and vast alpine pastures. Its 52 hairpin bends, Schiestlscharte pass (2,024 m.a.s.l.), and Eisentalhöhe pass (2042 m.a.s.l.) are legend among motorcyclists.
- Gaberl road (Austria): it is a winding, panoramic, scenic road that crosses the Lavanttal Alps which reaches its highest point in the village of Soboth, 1,347 meters above sea level.
- The B69 (Austria): another great serpentine road that connects Lavamund to Eibiswald featuring many curves and hairpin bends where you will enjoy riding your motorcycle! You will certainly find many Austrian motorcyclists going back and forth for fun on this road.
- Roßfeldstraße (Germany): it winds among the Berchtesgaden Alps offering great views of Salzburg, the city of Mozart.
Along this road, you will find a parking area where you can leave your motorcycle and take a bus to the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) 1,834 meters above sea level, the fortified chalet of Adolf Hitler. From here you can enjoy stunning views as far as Lake Königssee.
In the files included in our Roadbook, as other attractions of interests, a marker will sign the point where the car park with the bus station leading to Eagle's nest is located.
The most beautiful villages you can visit on this motorcycle trip:
- Soriška Planina and Škofja Loka in Slovenia.
- Along the Romantic Road in Austria (Österreich Romantikstraße) you can visit these enchanting villages:
Steyr, Kremsmünster, Scharnstein, Schloss Lamberg, Scharnstein, Gmunden, and Traunkirchen (both on the banks of Lake Traunsee), Bad Ischl, Mondsee (on the lake with the same name), and Salzburg which is one of the two starting points of this motorcycle tour.