PYRENEES, THE BEST MOTORCYCLE TRIP ON WINDING SCENIC ROADS
The Pyrenees is an imposing mountain range with several peaks exceeding 3,000 meters above sea level located on the border between France and Spain. It extends from Biscay Bay to the Mediterranean. The Pyrenees features dense forests and beautiful valleys that will enchant anyone for their wild beauty. Also, they offer motorcyclists some more great aspects: among these mountains, you can ride your motorcycle on serpentine scenic roads, which are some of the most suggestive and fascinating roads of all Europe, surrounded by unforgettable panoramas while climbing the several mounts of this mountain range.
On this journey, you will ride clockwise on both the French and Spanish sides of the Pyrenees. The starting points are both in France. On the north side, the tour starts from Saint Jean de Luz, located in Biscay Bay, while on the south side it starts from Perpignan located a few kilometers from the Mediterranean beaches. Being a ring tour it will end in the same place of departure.
The legendary passes you will cross on this motorcycle ride in the French Pyrenees:
- Col du Tourmalet 2,115 m.: in the heart of the Pic du Midi, it is the most famous and highest pass of the French Pyrenees;
- Port de Pailhères 2,001 m.: a high pass in the eastern part of the Pyrenean chain;
- Col de Puymorens 1,915 m.: it is a bit busy but very scenic and offers great views;
- Col du Pourtalet 1,794 m.: at the beginning, the road is surrounded by thick woods but when the trees thin out the views are breathtaking;
- Col de la Pierre St Martin 1,760 m.: Is the highest of the Basque Pyrenees with suggestive panoramas in the last part of the climb;
- Port de Balès 1,755 m.:
- Col d'Aubisque 1,709 m.; very appreciated by motorcyclists;
- Col du Somport 1,632 m.;
- Col de Val Louron-Azet (1,580 m.);
- Puerto de Larrau 1,578 m.: it is a fantastic winding road with amazing panoramas;
- Col de Peyresourde 1,569 m.: it is very thrilling riding a motorbike on this road with bends and curves;
- Col du Soudet 1,540 m.;
- Col d'Ares 1,513 m.: there is not much traffic on this road that features 9 panoramic hairpin bends;
- Col d'Aspin 1,489 m.: it is one of the famous Pyrenean passes of the Tour de France, but it is also beloved by motorcyclists;
- Col du Soulor 1,474 m.;
- Col de Portel 1,432 m.: another pass where to have fun riding a motorcycle;
- Col de Labays 1,354 m.;
- Pas de Lamayo 1,350 m.;
- Col de Menté 1,349 m.: the climb features several curves and hairpin turns;
- Col Héguichouria 1346 m.;
- Col du Portillon 1,320 m.: 10 thrilling kilometers
- Col de Port 1,249 m.;
- Col de Burdincurutcheta 1,135 m.;
- Col de Portet d'Aspet 1,069 m.; attention to the narrow hairpin bends that characterize it;
- Col de Marie-Blanque 1,035 m.: the most famous of the western Pyrenees;
- Col du Porteigt (875 m.): it is not very high but it is very pleasant to ride a motorcycle here;
The legendary passes crossed on this motorcycle tour in the Spanish Pyrenees:
- El Pas de la Casa 2,080 m.: it is a winding road that reaches the ski resort of the same name;
- Port de la Bonaigua 2072 m.: many hairpin bends, where to have fun to ride your motorcycle;
- Coll de la Creueta 1,922 m.: a pleasant road in the Serra de Montgrony National Park in Catalonia;
- Port del Cantò 1721 m.: it features nice bends and curves in Catalonia; - Puerto de Cotefablo 1,423 m.: one of the most beautiful passes the N-260 road crosses;
- Roncevaux Pass (Spanish: Puerto de Ibañeta 1,057 m.: it is more famous for the battle of the same name fought in 778 AD by Charlemagne and Paladin Orlando than for its curves. On the other hand, after a lot of chills, a little relaxation is welcome
Highlights of this motorcycle trip in the Pyrenees
Pic du Midi de Bigorre:
It is a high peak of rock 2,887 m. a.s.l., where on the top there is a famous Astronomical Observatory. You can take a comfortable cablecar at the ski resort located on the top of the Col du Tourmalet that will reach it in 15 minutes. Our itinerary passes right in front of the cableway entrance, so just park your motorbike and get the ticket. On the Observatory, have been built some terraces that protrude over the void giving a strong emotion for those who walk on them. The views over the Pyrenees and the west of France are breathtaking, it is a pity you cannot access the observatory and watch as well the beautiful stellar panoramas over you.
Cirque de Gavarnie:
It is a mountainous complex formed by Mont Perdu, the Pic du Marboré and the Taillon, 14 km long featuring the shape of a semicircular wall about 1,770 m high. The spectacular waterfalls of Gavarnie, the highest ones in Europe with a jump of 413 meters, flow from its center. From this natural arena, you can enjoy extraordinary views! You can get to the foot of the mountain riding your motorbike just follow the files included in our Roadbook package.
Gorges de Galamus:
Not far from Perpignan the Agly river has carved over the millennia a canyon about 500 m deep, forming a very picturesque landscape. Crossing the Gorges de Galamus on a motorbike and being in direct contact with nature is an unforgettable unique experience.
It is a famous paved road in the Spanish Pyrenees featuring very good and cured road conditions. You will ride your motorbike along this road for over a hundred kilometers enjoying the large curves and bends and having lots of fun!
Andorra la Vella:
It is the capital of the small Principality of Andorra but is also called the capital of the Pyrenees. Andorra la Vella is a pretty and popular tourist center, not only for its beauty but also for the fact that it is a tax haven and the almost total absence of taxes encourages purchases.
La Seu d'Urgell:
Located at the foot of the Serra del Cadí. Its historic center is formed by picturesque alleys with arcades and ancient noble residences. Do not miss a visit to the Romanesque Cathedral.
The best day to get there is July 6th, the feast dedicated to San Firmino. Bring comfortable shoes because the bulls run fast and have sharp horns so you should be able to run faster! Anyway, Pamplona is a nice town where it will be very pleasant just to stroll around along its ancient streets.