RIDING A BIKE ON AN ANCIENT 'SALT ROAD' IN THE MARITIME ALPS
The Road of the Salt, Via del Sale in Italian, is a route that winds through the Maritime Alps and the Ligurian Alps on the border between Piedmont, Liguria, and France.
Long ago when the salt extraction from the Ligurian Sea and the salt trading were flourishing activities, many caravans of merchants transported this precious product from the coast to the north and to the Po valley crossing the Maritime Alps tracing several gravel tracks over the mountains.
Over the centuries, salt lost its preciousness becoming much less valuable and these routes fell into disuse. Thanks to tourism and especially to tourism by motorcycles that brought "back to life" this area featuring these gravel routes, making it one of the most fascinating areas in the world for motorcyclists. Of course, the beautiful views of the Alps you can enjoy riding your bike here had a great contribution as well to that.
The tour "Riding a bike on an ancient 'Salt Road' in the Maritime Alps" follows an itinerary suitable for motorcycles generally used on dirt roads. Anyway, our route is bypassing some difficult stretches of the main "Road of the Salt" suitable more for 4x4 vehicles than for two-wheelers, in addition, in this way, you will have more fun to ride your motorbike following an itinerary concerned with motorcyclists.
The main features of our tour are:
- Departure and arrival: Limone Piemonte (I) located about 8 miles (13 Km) north from Colle di Tenda where the dirt road begins
- The entire route is 61 miles (98 km) long and about 50 miles (80 km) of that is on a gravel road
- We recommend riding suitable motorcycles made for these kinds of roads like enduro bikes but also large twin-cylinder enduro motorcycles with passengers on board could be a choice. Dowelled tires are recommended as well.
- The average off-road riding experience is required.
- The Salt Road is under the authority and care of the local tourism company therefore a toll must be paid. Near Colle di Tenda, just where the paved road ends and the gravel road begins, there is the box office where you can make the payment.